phone:(256) 533-4020

fax:(256) 533-9487

 

Vent Free Heaters and Gas Logs

                                                                                                                                                       
                                     
 
An Explanation of Vent-Free Appliances:
 
Things to know before you choose one for your home..
 
When gas combustion occurs, several things are produced: carbon dioxide, water, gaseous chemical compounds including carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, respirable suspended particles (RSP), and formaldehyde.
 

 

Vent-Free Appliance Cautions:

-Don’t use if anyone in the house is pregnant, diabectic, anemic or suffers from heart or respiratory problems – Cannot be used as a sole or main source of heat –Cannot normally be installed in a bedroom or bathroom (Bedroom vent-frees are limited to 10,000 btu or less AND must be wall-mounted model, not an appliance installed inside a fireplace.)  -Cannot be installed in a “confined space” where fumes may not be properly dispersed  -Should not be installed if the fireplace or chimney is in disrepair   SOOT should never be visible on a vent free log set nor certainly in a home where one is used.  Soot is made up of tiny carbon particles.  Where carbon is visible, it means carbon monoxide was produced as well!!  Visible carbon indicates a malfunctioning appliance that should not be used until serviced by qualified technician.

 
When used sparingly (less than 4 hrs. per day per recommendations), the levels of these chemicals and gases are considered acceptable for residential applications because there are no standards for residential indoor air.  Guess what?  A 40,000 btu vent-free heater used continuously produces high levels of pollutants.  These levels exceed those allowed by OSHA or the EPA for air quality in the workplace.
 
The Producion of Perfectly Operating Vent-Free Appliance Is:
60% WATER VAPOR  Perhaps the biggest problem vent-frees cause are excessive moisture just too much water.  An average family of 4 generates about 2.9 gallons of water in the home a day through showering, cooking, breathing, etc.  Codes require ventilation in a bathroom to remove these water vapors.  A 40,000 btu vent-free heater used all day produces over 6 gallons of water a day which can penetrate walls, flooring, furniture, etc.  This can decay the structure of your home, cause mold and mildew which irritates allergies and asthma.  In extrememly cold conditions, the water vapor can remain trapped near the roof of the house and freeze, continually collecting and freezing.  As the weather warms, a home can literally become flooded with water.
 
39+% CARBON DIOXIDE  At low levels, carbon dioxide is not thought to be dangerous.  At moderately high concentrations carbon dioxide causes discomfort, raising the breathing rate and may cause minor eye irritation, particularly in people who wear contact lenses.
 
.1% is CARBON MONOXIDE  At the level, carbon monoxide may not be dangerous to healthy people but can adversely affect pregnant women, fetuses, babies and people with heart or lung problems.  A minute percentage is Nitrogen Dioxide which can hamper the immune systems and increase susceptibility to respiratory infections.
 
IMPROPER OPERATION CAN CAUSE DANGEROUS MALFUNCTIONS!
 
Accumulation of dust, pet hair and other debris on the burner or logs can cause improper burning; drafts through the damper or from ceiling fans or the home's central heating system can affect the flame and result in higher levels of carbon monoxide; faulty or improperly maintained burners, controls and gas pressures can also lead to problematic operation and dangerously increase indoor air pollutants.
 
OXYGEN DEPLETION SENSORS
 
ODS systems are used on all vent-free products as a "safety" requirement.  Highly tooted as a dependable feature of vent-frees, they may mislead consumers and even sales people and istallers of vent-free products.
 
Normal room air is nearly 21% oxygen.  Since carbon monoxide displaces oxygen, the ODS system is designed to cut the appliances off if an oxygen drop below 18% is detected.  Don't let this ODS theory lull you into a fale sense of security.  First, ODS sensors are installed on the appliance which means its at or near floor level.  It can only detect oxygen levels surrounding it; it cannot detect oxygen levels a few feet away from the appliance or where the warm air has risen or travelled to. It does NOT detect carbon monoxide.  It does not detect other malfunctions in the appliance.  It does not provide the level of safety or security of a carbon monoxide detector.
 
PROPER OPERATION  The American Gas Association Research Division (AGARD) outlines proper use as less than 4 hours at a time; not to be used in a confined space; not to be used as a sole source of heat.
 
INCREASE YOUR SAFETY  To increase your safety, it is advised that you follow manufacturers installation instrudctions, not rearrange log configuarion and perform regular maintenance.  Don't overuse vent-gres for etended periodes of time or as the sole source of heat.
 
Ideally you should make sure there is adequate air flow for combustion and a means to remove fumes and moisture.  The best system for meeting these guidelines?  A chimney.
 
Vented gas products (those with a chimney or vent system) remove these harmful irritants from your home, they don't smell bad and can be used for as long as you like without the health consequences you may suffer from vent-frees.
 
 
Based upon an article that first appeared in Popular Mechanics Magazine.